A Prayer Guide
The following prayer guide is for your use as you pray for our nation during these demanding days.
Biblical Basics On Praying For Our Nation
- The Bible teaches that God blesses those nations that keep His standards of justice and righteousness, Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people. (Proverbs 15:34 NIV)
- It also teaches that God will discipline nations that defy His standards. For the nation or kingdom that will not serve you will perish; it will be utterly ruined. (Isaiah 60:12 NIV)
- Our nation has clearly violated many of God's moral standards.
- The Bible gives examples of individual believers who, convicted over the sins of their nation, confessed those sins to God. Thus, Nehemiah prayed:O LORD, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you. We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses. (Nehemiah 1:5-7 NIV)
When the ancient nation of Judah was returning to the Lord, they prayed: But, our forefathers, became arrogant and stiff-necked, and did not obey your commands. They refused to listen and failed to remember the miracles you performed among them . . . . But you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. (Nehemiah 9:16-17 NIV)
- God commands us to pray for all men everywhere, and especially for our national leaders, with the overarching goal of peace and salvation. I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Tim 2:1-4 NIV)
- Holy Scripture teaches that Satan binds the hearts and blinds the minds of the lost, and that we should pray for their release from that bondage. … if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will. (II Timothy 2:25-26 NASB)
- Jesus taught that we should pray even for our enemies. But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matthew 5:44 NIV)
- The Bible teaches that we should not be anxious, but instead that we should present our requests to God with thanksgiving, which results is the experience of God's peace. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV)
In light of these truths from God's Word, let us pray.
Repentance and Confession of Sin
Before we pray for others, we should pray for ourselves, that we would be right with God and in fellowship with Him.
- Ask God to bring to mind any sins in your life and heart.
- Confess those sins God has brought to your mind and receive His forgiveness and cleansing.
- To confess is to agree together with God's verdict upon sin (Greek-homologeo-to say the same thing as another.) To agree with God about sin is specific, not general.
- When we confess our sin to God, we have assurance He will cleanse us of it. It is His promise; He will not break His Word. See I John 1:9 above.
- Pray that the churches will be characterized by deep repentance and a return to the Lord.
- Pray that church leaders may be courageous, wise, and faithful in their proclamation and counsel.
On behalf of our nation confess these sins:
- The destruction of millions of babies through abortion.
- The sexual immorality that is common in entertainment and so many relationships.
- The tolerance and promotion of sexual perversion.
- The dependency on material things and failure to trust God for physical, economic, and national security.
- The disregard of God's standards for marriage and family living.
Pray For Our Leaders
For Our President.
- Beseech God that the heart of our President will be open and sensitive to the Lord.
- Ask God to give him wisdom for the decisions he must make.
- Ask God to protect him from physical harm and spiritual attack.
- Ask God to protect his family from all harm.
For his advisors and cabinet.
- Ask the Lord to bring those who do not know Him to salvation through Jesus Christ.
- Ask God to provide spiritual strength and protection to all the advisors.
- Ask the Lord to give them wisdom as they advise the President.
- Ask that they be kept safe from harm.
For your Senators and Representatives.
- Ask the Lord to work in the hearts of those who do not know Him that they would recognize their need to repent and trust Jesus Christ for salvation.
- Ask Him to provide spiritual strength and protection for them.
- Ask the Lord to give each of them wisdom and insight as they consider crucial legislation.
- Ask Him to keep them safe from every menace.
Pray For Our Military.
- Ask Him to provide spiritual strength and protection.
- Ask the Lord to bring those who do not know Him to salvation through Jesus Christ the Lord.
- Ask Him to give them courage and valor.
- Ask Him to protect them as they enter combat.
- Ask the Lord to give them success in each of their missions.
Pray For Our Nation
- Pray for the Lord to convict the people of our nation of sin.
- Ask Him to soften all our hearts and make them open to the Lord.
- Pray that God will release those taken captive by Satan and give sight to those who have been spiritually blinded.
- Ask the Lord for a harvest of souls.
- Ask Him to bring revival to the hearts and lives of the saved.
- Ask our Father to protect us from physical attack.
- Ask Him to give a spirit of patience and calm throughout the land.
Pray For Our Churches
- Ask God to move His churches to boldly proclaim the gospel to the unsaved.
- Ask God to help us trust Him and His sovereign control over the world.
- Ask Him to fill us with compassion for those who are suffering because of recent events.
- Ask the Lord to strengthen the hearts of God's people, giving courage and persistence.
- Ask Him to help His children experience His peace that passes all understanding, that it would guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Pray For the Islamic World
- Pray for the Lord to open the eyes of the Muslim people to the futility and deception of Islam.
- Pray that Muslims around the world would see Christ's love in the words and actions of Christians, especially from those who are being persecuted.
- Ask the Lord to open the doors for evangelism that the Muslim world would hear and respond to the gospel.
Pray For Our Enemies
- Ask God to break the spiritual bonds of evil and deception everywhere.
- Pray for the Lord, in His mercy, to bring salvation to Taliban leaders, and all those who, in spiritual blindness, produce violence and terror in the world.
Copyright (c) 2001 Southern Baptist Convention